Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Life That's Chosen Me pt.2

Faith Rivera and Robert Anderson (Devotion) at the HwH PJ Jam

After having a blast seeing a lot of my friends perform at the Posipalooza in Kansas City I was departing the event to go back to our hotel room/PJ jam party room when Karen Taylor-Good came flying up to me saying "I have it, I have it". She explained that she had been up the night before and the lyrics came to her and she wanted to show me what she had. She and I met inside our HwH Pajama Jam room while the music was flowing and couldn't find a place to go that would allow her to show us in piece and quiet.

Thus the bathroom in the room was chosen... with me sitting on the toilet and karen sitting inside the bathtub she read to me the first verse and chorus from her laptop. Quiet an honor when you have Faith Rivera jumping into the bathroom to use it and realizing we were already in there! I was teared up over what Karen wrote, talk about a sublime experience.

She and I talked for a bit and too which we both went back to our lives, about three weeks later I had an email from karen saying that she had it and that Lisa Aschmann had helped to create the hook and other parts of the song to support it. I was excited to find out what they had and the demo showed up magically in my email. She called it simply "song for Randy and Cheryl".

Cheryl my Wife and I listened intently and both connected with the song instantly. Karen singing the rough on Lisa Aschmann's out of tune piano getting the basic track mapped out a bit. WOW! I followed up right away with Karen, thanking her and commenting that I heard a certain sound in it. I kept hearing this old Journey song "Faithfully". YouTube - Journey - Faithfully

The chord progression at times were close, the tone of it sounded similar to which Karen was surprised but agreed it had that tone. I asked if I could be in the studio through the recording of this just too see the process through. Karen was nice enough to agree and thus flight was booked for Nashville. I arrived to Nashville where she picked me up at the airport in a curious mode. She wanted to learn more about me as I did of her, already stoked on getting to see one of the greats in the studio doing what she does so well I was honored that she was curious about my life.

The process of recording is wonderful, Jason Garner's small home studio in his garage was a cozy little place with a simple recording booth, his background is wonderful in this field.. a true talent. Upon arriving he had already at Karen's guidance mapped out the basic tracking of the piano, drums, etc.. it was already coming together quickly. We were ready to record...

Randy Grossman
HwH

No comments:

Post a Comment